Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Book Reading #26: Opening Skinner's Box Microblog

Reference Information
   Title: Opening Skinner's Box
   Author: Lauren Slater
   Publisher: W.W. Norton & Company (2008)

Chapter 7: Rat Park (25 pages)
Summary
This chapter discussed Bruce Alexander's work he did with rats. He studied the effect of one's social, physical and psychological life when addicted to drugs. Alexander put sixteen rats in a cage and sixteen rats in a "rat park". He provided two sets of drinking water, one with normal water and one laced with morphine. He found that the rats in the rat park typically chose normal drinking water while the ones in the cramped environment chose the morphine laced water.


The author talks about the other side of the argument--that some addictions are caused by a decrease in the production of certain brain chemicals. She talks about Emma Lowry who is addicted to opium after a surgery.


Discussion
This chapter was very interesting. I watch a show called "Breaking Bad" that is essentially about cooking crystal meth, so I see this sort of behavior. I've never been attracted to drugs, but I can see the "crutch" it creates for those that might be anti-social. I don't advocate drugs, but I feel like if alcohol and cigarettes are legal, marijuana should be as well. I don't know why I felt the need to say that.

No comments:

Post a Comment